Intro to NLP
- Authors: Derek Howard
- Research field: Neuroscience
- Lesson topic: Text processing with NLTK
- Lesson content URL:
The lesson was uploaded as a Jupyter notebook.
If you want to follow along, make sure you have the correct packages installed and download the associated data for nltk
- pip install nltk
- to download only tools/data used in this lesson:
python -m nltk.downloader stopwords porter_test vader_lexicon tagsets punkt wordnet
- Alternatively, this will download ~2gb of data, but should ensure all components of nltk work if you’re interested in exploring other functionalities of nltk:
python -m nltk.downloader all
Also save this text as book.txt in a place you can easily access:
If you’d like to follow along in Jupyter Notebook, do the following:
- Install Jupyter Notebook
- Run the notebook by typing
jupyter notebook into command line.
- In the web application that opens, navigate to the folder containing the files you downloaded, and open ‘intro_NLP.ipynb’ to follow along.
- A pre-rendered version of the notebook may be viewed here.